Friday, December 4, 2009

Awakenings...

No, not the Robin Williams movie but more and more members of the citizenry when it comes to firearm ownership. I received messages from two people yesterday. Here's the text of the first one:
I'd like to get some info from you about rules & laws in the People's Republic of Illinois.

Also - what can I do to join the NRA?

Do you have any recommendations for me when it comes to my first purchase?

I know, I'm behind...after XX years in the Army, you think I'd own more than just the rifle, which my dad gave me two years ago, and was his when he was a teen-ager! But, Ft. Hood has got me moving in the right direction again.
This is going along w/ looking into obtaining a non-resident CCW for when he's traveling.

The second was a series if IM's from an old High School friend now living in FL. Her fiancee went and purchased a Remington 870 Tactical because he's concerned about the way the country is going. He used to own a gun but had sold it some time ago. He plans on taking my friend to a range to make sure she knows how to use it as well since she's just as concerned.

I'm positive this will be the first of many purchases for all of them.

So while this is still anecdotal, it presents even more evidence that the surge in firearm sales that's lasted the last year and still going strong isn't just a bunch of right wing extremist racist tea-bagging militia gun nuts buying their 50th or 100th gun but 'regular' folks realizing that what we 'gun nuts' have been saying may not be so 'nutty' after all. These people are then getting guns for their SO's and talking to their friends and families.

It's unfortunate that it takes events like Ft Hood, Katrina and/or National instability to get people to understand what we have been saying but at least some good is coming out of it. When things improve and the world calms down a little, many of these individuals will lose much of the zeal they have now but most of them will still be firearm owners. Then, when 'gun control' groups and ignorant politicians try and get laws passed putting more restrictions on them (the owners) and that don't effect criminals in any way, there will be even less support for these measures.



Unorganized Militia Gear

3 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

It is too bad people don't think about this stuff until after a tragedy. Still It seems that Post 9-11 rather than such tragedies For example Columbine, being a spring board for people to call for gun restrictions, people are wising up and going against gun controls and arming themselves.

If those are my choices, I know where I stand

kaveman said...

Just yesterday I had a co-worker(non gun owner) ask my opinion on the best home defense weapon that could be used by both him and his wife who has "tiny hands."

We talked about various systems but it all boiled down to whatever you buy, become profiecient in shooting it, learn how to disassemble clean and reassemble and practice at the range.

Might have another gun owner in America by Christmas.

Weer'd Beard said...

Oh BTW when the Stock Market took a shit in 2008 my Mom-in-Law admitted that maybe I had the right idea being heavily armed when all the news was reporting that the world is going to end for a 72 hour stretch.