Sunday, August 17, 2014

#GenCon2014 Day 3: Last Sweep

Vegged out last night watching some videos w/ roommates and creating a new Dark Dungeon convert. I had to go and buy him a copy while he played in a Malifaux  Relic Knights tournament.

During my last sweep, I stopped by the 'Valyrian Steel' booth and tried on their prototype 'Unsullied' Helmet from GoT.

But I saw a 'It Must Be Mine'. A set of 'Dragonglass' dagger & arrow head reproductions from the 'Nights Watch' along w/ the Lord Commander's Order and a CoA signed by GRRM.

A few other odds and ends I picked up for fun.

An inflatable 20 sider from Crystal Caste.

A signed print of a 'Great Woolly Dragon" from Palladium FRPG.

And a T-shirt from my friends at Off World Designs.

A few goodbyes then it was the drive home to reality.  Uneventful outside of missing a turn and taking a slightly alternate route.

The convention itself is somewhat overwhelming.  There are dozens, if not hundreds, of events, both scheduled and impromtu, going on at all hours of the day. table-top, movies, conferences, sales, LARP, mini's, interactive, you name it.  I didn't do any of the competitions or tournaments but am thinking of doing some next year.

#GenCon 2014 Day 1A

#GenCon 2014 Day 1B

 #GenCon2014 Day 2: Autographs Galore

Unorganized Militia Gear Unorganized Militia Gear
Follow TrailerDays on Twitter
Unorganized Militia Gear
Unorganized Militia Gear


Weer'd Beard said...

Heh that shirt makes me giggle!

Reminds me of my early days of D&D when scenarios like this sometimes played out.

DM: You enter a tavern filled with people drinking and enjoying themselves.

Player: I buy an ale and ask the barman what he knows about the abandoned keep on the hill.

DM: The tavern keeper says most people stay away from that old keep, but he gestures to a drunk at the end of the bar, and says he claims to have found a secret way inside the keep.

Player: I ask the drunk what he knows about the keep.

DM: The drunk says 'I may know a thing or two about it, young man, why don't you buy me a few drinks first.'

Player: So how much experience is this guy worth?


Greg F said...

Other fun stuff going on too, like Mike Williamson selling t-shirts. He said he's known the guy running the booth for 20-plus years and it keeps him from spending lots of money like Larry Correia did on minis. Larry was at the Baen roadshow showing off a huge bag of them. All of the author seminars I went to were awesome. Larry and Jim Butcher together were a hoot. Williamson's seminar on edged weapons was fascinating and Howard Tayler drew character's in every Schlock Mercenary book you bought. As a warmup he did a drawing of a lady working in the booth next door and gave it to her, lucky lady.
BTW, I was the guy that said hi by the escalator. I realized after we parted that I never introduced myself, my apologies.
Cheers, Greg.

Thirdpower said...

Greg. It was great to meet up w/ you there. Hopefully you'll continue to read my tripe as well as Larry's much better prose. :)