Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Quality Chinese Materials

I had my Chinese SKS in my car over the weekend as my backup for Appleseed. Didn't need it so it stayed in its sock the whole time.

When I pulled it out of the sock this afternoon (I had brought it back into the house Sat & Sun evening) to put it away, this is what the stock looked like:

The finish had bubbled up on almost the whole thing. Unless someone has a better idea, I'm just going to lightly sand it down to smooth it out since I'm not going to refinish the whole thing anytime soon.

Update: Thank you all for the suggestions. I went with the quick and dirty Linseed Oil/Quad'0' smoothing which seems to have worked fairly well. It will need a full refinishing later so that will be a project for another weekend.

Unorganized Militia Gear
Unorganized Militia Gear

Follow TrailerDays on Twitter


kaveman said...

Avoid the sander and give it a good scrub down with "Best damn Gun Oil".

Anonymous said...

Use 0000 steel wool and coat the stock with a very light coat of boiled linseed oil.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I like Anon's suggestion. By 'light coat' you can cut the boiled linseed oil with a little paint thinner (mineral sprits). You can even use the steel wool to apply it.

This is assuming you've never done much boiled linseed oil application.

Usual safety rules apply, good ventilation (plus BLO kinda stinks) watch out for oil rags spontaneously combusting by rinsing them and spreading them flat, etc.

After you finish application, wipe off the excess. Check in 10 minutes if their is more excess and wipe it off again. Let it cure for 2 weeks.

Anonymous said...

You might try going over it with a hair blow dryer set on low and holding it far away, the progressively closer/higher heat.

Depending on the finish used, it may be heat reactive (causing your original problem) by heating it up, and then using something like a baby diaper (make sure whatever rag you use is no-lint or the fibers will stick in the finish - perhaps one of those mechanic shop rags in a box deals they sell at the big box stores?) to smooth it out - you may get back to new without any further work.

This is all a maybe, but it might have a shot considering we suspect the problem was caused by heat in the first place.

Molon Labe said...

I wanted to comment earlier, but the communists who set up the blocking rules at work consider the comments section of your blog "social networking."

I'm no wood working expert, but have refinished about 2 dozen or so stocks/grips for myself, family and friends so take this for what it's worth.

From the picture, I can see grain depressions. That means you probably have only one coat of shitty whatever they finished your furniture with. If you hit it with quad 0 steel wool only, you take the chance of removing only the finish which is raised and leaving the existing finish in the depressions. Or, you'll end up with what looks like water spots from where it bubbled. You could have the same problem down the road unless you remove all the crap. and since you're going to have it broken down anyway, why not put a real good, durable finish on it?

If it was mine, i would hit the entire finish with 150 gr sandpaper, followed with 220 gr. get all the existing finish off and make sure it was nice and smooth. hit it with a tack cloth to remove all particles. throw a coat of stain on it if you want to alter the color. If not, use a natural colored stain. when it dries, sand lightly with quad 0 steel wool. (use the tack cloth EVERY TIME you use the steel wool, or you'll end up with steel splinters imbedded in your furniture). I swear by that birchwood casey gun stock finish. It's like a poly or spar urethane. coat it, remove excess, and allow to dry. I use no less than 3 coats, with quad 0 steel wool in between each coat. It will be shiny, so if you like it, leave it. Or, it you want a matte finish, hit it again with the quad 0 (very lightly) and rub a stock polish on as your last step. guaranteed you will end up with a beautiful finsh which won't give you any problems.

It's a project which will take you the better part of a weekend, but the results are worth it.