Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Why I joined the NRA

To join my fellow brethren in a righteous life and death battle against tyranny with the hopes and dreams of overthrowing the imperialist government pig-dogs!!!!!!

Well, not really.

To honor the sacrifice of our Founding Fathers who selflessly gave their lives and fortunes in forming this great country!!!!!!

Hmmm, nope…that ain’t it.

To recognize that in order to protect my Rights, it would be wise to exercise them?

Fooled ya, didn’t I? That isn’t it either.

Because I have a freakishly small penis?

While I don’t do a whole lot of side-by-side wiener comparison, my junk is average according to all the medical professionals I call late at night while standing in my kitchen naked and sobbing uncontrollably.

There are three very simple reasons I joined the NRA.

1. I get $1.00 off the admission price at gun shows.
2. I get a 10% discount on ammo at a gun store in a nearby town.
3. The magazine subscription.

There, the truth is out. I joined about 15 years ago and faithfully paid my $35.00 yearly dues with pleasure, but not much beyond that. Now I contribute about 10 times that amount each year in the form of straight up donations, using the NRA credit card, buying books and videos and the occasional purchase of merchandise such as knives or tote bags with the NRA logo.

I’ve even been known to buy a 1-year gift membership for the occasional anti troll. Ask Jadegold about it the next time ya see him, he just loves to reminisce about that one.

The reason behind this post is because of something Thirdpower wrote in his “Wishing doesn’t make it so” post just down thread…

“So in the mind of Thom, if you don't own a gun, you support 'gun control'? “

The Brady Bunch loves to point out that the NRA has ONLY 4 million members out of a population of 80 million gun owners. They tend to gloss over the fact that they, at best, have 150,000 supporters out of, what, the remaining 120 million adults in America?

Not all gun owners respect the 2A……………..Joe Biden
Not all non-gun owners disrespect the 2A…………LegalEagle45 on HuffPo(check him out if you haven’t already).

The Brady Bunch also likes to lament that they just can’t figure out why congress critters are, uh…kinda gun shy when it comes to pushing more gun control laws. This is understandable on a superficial level. The dems have the House, the Senate and we got the Messiah in the White House with Biden, Holder, Hillary, Emanuel, Duncan, Koh, etc. I won’t get into all the anti forces in the czar brigade so this post doesn’t get too wordy. This is the dream team for Pete’s sake, and yet we are still advancing…and winning; while they must continue to consolidate in order to survive, fight for Joyce’s praise upon them and recycle arguments that were debunked 20 years ago.

My New Year’s resolution is to sign up as many new NRA members as I can.
No rest
No retreat.

The magazine subscription is quite good.

Admin Note: If interested, you can click here to join or the NRA button on the sidebar.

Unorganized Militia Gear

8 comments:

Unknown said...

kaveman, I couldn't get past your first sentence. I'm still laughing.

"To join my fellow brethren in a righteous life and death battle against tyranny with the hopes and dreams of overthrowing the imperialist government pig-dogs!!!!!!"

I especially like the "life and death" part.

Thomme said...

I, honestly, don't believe that the 2nd Amendment is what gives us our right to own guns, I believe that lies with the congress and senate, myself. But, I do support the NRA, because they will help guarantee my rights as a gun own. And I'm currently signing up thanks to your new years resolution. Kudos on the beautifully written post, convincing me to support the NRA.

Anonymous said...

And, join Gun Owners Of America & all your states chapters!

Mike W. said...

Thomme - You're right, the 2A doesn't "give" us any particular right. What it does to is codify an inherent, pre-existing, & inalienable right.

Chris said...

I joined the NRA years before I even owned a gun, just because I knew it would piss a certain class of people off.

You get a dollar off of gun show admission? Since when? I've never gotten a discount before.

Weer'd Beard said...

MikeB302000 give us your address and we'll sign you up!

I love how you gave Jadegold a gift membership!

Sadly I can't ask him because I don't know where he hangs out anymore. (Besides MikeB302000's place which is like watching bread mold...thanks I prefer watching paint dry if I get the choice)

Like most NRA members (Soon to be Life Member) I'm not 100% pleased with all the action they've done. Still I have seen some AMAZING work they've done, and seen many of their safety, training and sports programs which makes the price of admission well worth the small cost.

Things like Women on Target, Eddie Eagle, Bianchi Cup, many of the sponsored clubs, their safety and historical literature. Also remember when Congress wanted to declare ammo as an explosive so that gun shops could no longer stock it? That bill went from being openly discussed to circling the bowl within a few hours of the NRA's membership bulletin.

Being a member is only one small thing you can do to further the 2nd Amendment in America, but it's worth far more than what it costs to get the membership and the magazine!

kaveman said...

Chris...

The $1.00 off admission is at the discretion of the guys promoting the gun show. Virtually all of the shows in Oregon give the discount if you show your NRA membership card at the door. The only ones that don't are the tiny ones not worth going to.

I also can't remember going to an Oregon gun show where there wasn't an NRA booth set up designed to sign you up before you get to admissions.

If this is not occuring in your area, call the NRA up and see what they can set up.

Mikee said...

You left out the allure of the NRA stickers, those round, elegant emblems of gun nuttery. Every NRA member gets TWO stickers in the mail after signing up.

One has glue on the back, for putting it on the toolbox of gun cleaning supplies. The other has glue on the front, for putting on the pickup truck window.

never underestimate the self-validation inherent in the possession and application of organizational stickers.