Monday, January 19, 2009

I Am the SCCC

Since I'm back in school, I decided officially joining the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus would be advantageous. Unfortunately they didn't have an Campus Leader for Eastern Illinois University so I offered my services to do the job.
Hi Roy,

Your application for Campus Leader has been approved. Please take some time to review SCCC's Answers to the Most Common Arguments located at http://www.concealedcampus.org/arguments.htm to familiarize yourself with our response to a variety to claims. You may also find the SCCC Handbook of interest, as it contains a far more detailed look at SCCC's mission, history, and outlook for the future. You can find the handbook here: http://www.concealedcampus.org/sccc_package.pdf (approximately 6MB).

Thanks for your willingness to help and welcome aboard,

My buddy Kurt Hofmann remarked "Tough environment--not only a university campus, but an Illinois university campus. Like swimming against the current, do you?"

A bit ironic coming from a guy that volunteered to jump out of perfectly good airplanes but no, not really. Like him, I just want to do my part. Every Campus Leader, each Gun Rights Examiner column started, even every blog post gets the word out just a little bit more.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Question, I've heard that in Illinois you can legally carry a firearm in an unloaded state. Is this true?

Perhaps that'd be an interesting endeavor beyond the holster at some point.

Thirdpower said...

Saj,

There was one case where an individual was found not guilty while carrying an unloaded handgun in an encompassing holster w/ a loaded magazine in a separate pack.

I would rather push for a CCW law than rely on individual courts to find the same way in this state.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on standing up and being counted. I have to admit to not being a member of the SCCC back when I was in college, but I was young and naive back then, and I actually believed that governments abided by the Constitution. Silly me :).

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Way to stand up and be counted, Roy. I have to admit, I was a little amused by the idea of them providing you with the information you would need to counter the other side's arguments.

Guess they don't know that this ain't your first rodeo, eh?