Monday, January 26, 2009

ISP sitting on FOID applications: Update

Just got an E-mail from a friend of mine who sent in his application way back in October:
So I called the ISP. While going through the prompts I found it interesting that they have a new automated message saying that FOID cards are now taking 56 days to process. Well, I entered the selection saying that it had been more than 56 days and on the voice menu after that it said 30 days. Seems like someone is really behind.

I finally got ahold of someone who very quickly asked me for my info. He stuttered out a few lines about an old applications, something to do with the $10 (it sounded more in general than related to me specifically). I got a few rambled lines about how they're behind and that the system is messed up and that they're taking more time because of it. I mentioned that I had put my app in back in Oct and he said it was entered/processed on Nov 21. By my reckoning its still past 60 days and he fed me a generic "you should get it in 7-10 days" bs line. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say that about the original 30 days? Ugh.

So hopefully I'll have it later this week. I have a feeling that they are letting things get caught up in red tape for a reason.

He was also told that they are into Dec. applications now. So his FOID was processed over two months ago and he still hasn't received it.

Here's the official response from the ISP:
Good Afternoon Jack,

This is the response we recieved from our Legislative Contact within the State Police. As always, if you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call.

"Unfortunately the ISP has experienced severe backlogs in the processing of FOID cards. This has most definitely not been done as a means to deprive citizens of their rights to own firearms and is directly resulting from staffing and funding deficiencies. Two additional employees were hired 12/16/08 and recent software changes should allow us to recognize a significant decrease in the backlog in the near future. Please let me know if you have further questions. "

Beth C. Goncher
District Director
Representative Tim Schmitz
(630)845-9590


That's the exact same thing they said last time in order to justify getting a cost increase. Think this isn't intentional?

4 comments:

Crustyrusty said...

Heh. That's why I left IL and moved to KY. Well, one of the reasons, anyway.

Anonymous said...

The ISP is pretty screwed up internally. Last year in 08 I shot them an email asking them to update their FOID information. It still had Ex-Gov's Ryan's name on the online literature (5 years out of office) Pretty embarrassing. They replied in a few months and actually updated it!
I wonder how long it will take them to update any information with Blago's name on it once he gets kicked out? Perhaps we should save the state money in the future by eliminating any elected officials names on any highway signs. you know those ones that say "Welcome to Illinois or this airport " gov "x" on them....

Bruce said...

OT: Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez (MAIG) just got pinched on bribery charges.

That's eight.

Anonymous said...

So if you have to wait 2 months for your FOID card, do you then have to wait an additional 5 days "to cool off"?

OK, I'll go now.