Saturday, January 25, 2014

Illinois Private Gun Sales Requirements

It's interesting that while (allegedly) incredibly easy to do, it's fairly difficult to find out HOW to actually do a 'person to person' sale in Illinois after the new law went into effect.   Technically, you're supposed to contact the Il State Police to verify the FOID (Firearm Owners ID) card.  But here's what their info sheet says on 'PTP' sales under 'Acquiring or Transferring Firearms in IL (follow the firearms tab). 


Nothing about contacting the ISP to 'verify' there.  Maybe the little disclaimer off to the side is meant for it.

Maybe you're supposed to call?  There is no number listed anywhere though.  The super secret FFL dealer number though is 866-752-1246.  Option #2 is for 'Non-FFL's from what I understand.

After much searching, an actual page was found.  Under 'Firearms', tab to FOID then scroll down to 'Person to Person Firearm(s) Transfer'. Scroll down to "Check FOID Card Status for Private Firearm Transfer".  There is a section there for entering the FOID number, DOB and CAPTCHA code.  Interesting to note that the both the drop down and area to enter the info is below what most phones/tablets would display.  I'm sure that wasn't intentional.

So there ya go.  How to follow the law that has no penalties for not following it. 
I don't know if it works as I have not used the system yet.

Unorganized Militia Gear Unorganized Militia Gear
Follow TrailerDays on Twitter
Unorganized Militia Gear

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Looks like they want to make MORE criminals by not following that little OBTW... And they will then have a record of a sale! Any bets people will be getting a call in a year or two for that documentation of sale???

Anonymous said...

Won't be me. I'm leaving this cesspool state this summer for ever! I don't even want to be buried here when I die !!!!

Anonymous said...

Guys, I'm going to start "checking the status" of my FOID card as often as I can. While I understand that it might cause a flood of "reference numbers" to be generated related to my card, and that it might cause confusion at the IL State Police relative to any actual firearm purchases I might have made, there is no law against checking your own FOID card status...