Friday, October 12, 2007

BC PSH

Paul has a new rant messing both sides of his shorts over the recent court decision in Oklahoma regarding firearms at the workplace.

I'm honestly mixed on the issue of protection vs property rights so I present these two questions that will never be answered:

1. Are the businesses willing to accept responsibility and accountability for the safety of their employees when traveling to and from work?

2. Does the Brady Campaign think this decision will actually stop anyone who wants to shoot up their workplace from doing so?

Paul does highlight that the judge was completely biased in his opinion by citing the Brady Bunch in his report and claiming that firearms present a workplace hazard when it's the disgruntled employees that are the ones doing the shooting.

Of course Paul also considers outright gun bans to be "just common sense".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1- No. What HR departments do is CYA. They don't care if you get killed so long as they have a policy in place that absolves them of all responsibility.

2- Yes. I think that after a while, you drink so much Kool-Aid that you start to believe in things that are demonstrably false. Or, the other explanation is that they know it makes no difference, but that it's all part of the baby steps needed to completely remove firearms from law abiding citizens.

Which causes more crime.

Which generates more revenue for them.

And there is no conflict with personal property. What's inside my car is mine, not theirs, and they cannot tell me what I can and cannot bring into their parking lot. Period. Just like I have no right to search anyone's car that parks in my driveway.

Inside the building is different. That property is shared by all employees and therefor they have a vested interest in what goes on (just like my house). While I disagree that my firearm poses a threat, that's their call.

Besides, as a CCW holder, I can just go down the street, purchase a gun, and walk right back to work if I was deranged.

That's why it's just a 'feel-good' measure. It stops nothing except a law suit - "You can't sue us because an employee shot your husband to death. That employee was breaking our rules!".