Right after I got back from Xmas, my main laptop started giving me issues, locking up after about 10 min. and requiring a restart. I ran virus scan after virus scan. No joy. I cleaned it out, defragged, the works. Nothing. It would work in 'Safe' mode but that was it. A month and a half it sat there, w/ me occasionally trying to figure it out.
The whole time my netbook worked just fine. Until yesterday. Then it started locking up too. Crap. Both 'puters down would be bad, bad juju. Virus scans came back the same. Negative issues. So I started trying to figure out what I had done. The ONLY change I had made was updating Avast it's latest engine/version. I broke out the Google-Fu. Turns out several features in Avast 2014 are totally hosed and.... cause your computer to lock up every 10 min or so. Disabling Avast (I have other anti-virus) and the computer seems to be working.
Now this isn't some minor issue. This is a glaring screw up, one that should have been caught had they even tried it on a separate computer. I've had good luck w/ Avast the last few years but it's going to stay off until the get it unscrewed. I bet I'm not the only one.