Saturday, March 8, 2014

Keep Honking, I'm reloading


Well I’m off and running now with the whole reloading adventure.  I went to the local range and picked up a bunch of brass which I assume is .308 but it might be 7.62X54 but it’s close enough to use in my 30.06 M1 Garand. Some old coot at the shooting bench next to the scrap bucket was blathering on about something that those cases were Berdan primed, old military brass or something. I told him that even if I knew what that meant, I still wouldn’t care since I don’t take “advice” from old fogies.

First thing I did was clean up that old brass. I ran out of kindling wood for the stove so I used the crushed walnut media I had bought to start a fire yesterday; it was a bit chilly. I just loaded up the tumbler with hot soapy water, some shredded sandpaper scraps, two handfuls of rock salt and some loose S.O.S. pads to get into all the nooks and crannies.

I broke some random piece off my decapping die on the first case and it wouldn’t pop out the old primers anymore so I did the rest with a hammer and screw driver while the case was clamped in a vise.

Weighing out the powder was taking too long as the scale arm was bobbing up and down for like forever so I weighed out the first charge, filled the case and then just eye-balled the rest.

Then jamming the bullet in and crimping the neck with some pliers was relatively easy.

Well, I’m off to the range now, I feel sorry for all you fools who actually pay store prices for ammo. This went pretty smooth so far.

I think I’ll bring the hammer, screwdriver and pliers with me and see if I can reload these cases and fire them again within 30 seconds just to challenge myself.

Just gotta stop by the liquor store first.


Unorganized Militia Gear Unorganized Militia Gear
Follow TrailerDays on Twitter
Unorganized Militia Gear

11 comments:

Joel said...

Whimper...

Billll said...

There's a you tube video out there along those lines. Saw it once, LMAO, and forgot to book mark it. The fellow was reloading .38 spl with a hammer and punch.

Anonymous said...

You're going to have real trouble chambering them unless you checked their length with that old lumber yard yardstick with most of the numbers worn off!

drjim said...

OKAAAAAY......

Unknown said...

Now you know why I don't reload, That story is probably pretty close to what I'd end up doing.

Anonymous said...

My first thought was "I want to physically punch you in the throat", If you cannot identify 7.62x54 RIMMED from .308 then you have no business any where near a firearm. After the 3rd sentence I began to realize that maybe this was sarcasm...distasteful, but sarcasm. After reading all of this, I still find it distasteful, the last thing anyone here needs is to reinforce the ignorant gunny stereotypes already out there.

.45ACP+P said...

Welllll Dayum son, sounds like you got it down! Jest you let me know when you are headed to the range with your efforts. I may have business in another state, that might be almost far enough away.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

An old oilfield friend of mine talked a lot about the guys who handled nitro for shooting open-hole wells. They invariably were hard whiskey drinkers, I guess to settle their nerves. Anyhow, when you stop at the liquor store be sure to remember your smokes!

kaveman said...

Anon,sarcasm has its place in the great circle of life but you have every right to find it distasteful.

The fact that a gun-grabber would NOT identify it as sarcasm is what I find funny.

Dan said...

Either this post is sarcasm or there is a very high order probability that I or an associate of mine in my profession will see you in the ER in the near future for operating HUA.

kaveman said...

If some still can't identify if this is satire, you might want to check some old posts for reference...

http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.com/2010/02/being-one-with-nature.html