Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Back door of trailer still open

I got to thinkin’.

Why does the Brady Bunch oppose CCW laws? This is a serious question. Our side has knee jerk reactions as well and I really want to dig deep into this query.

*disclaimer…When referring to the Brady Campaign specifically, I will use that title. “Brady Bunch” encompasses all anti 2A groups.

We’ve all seen the big push in light of Heller from the antis concerning CCW. They lost some major ground with the 2A being recognized as an individual Right, scrubbed their sites of all references to the collective rights nonsense, launched a new site titled “Concealed Carry Killers” and latched onto the one little butt nugget like a starving dog being tossed a piece of unseasoned tofu shaped like a meat bone.

Heller was about the Right to carry inside one’s home.

Working within that framework, CCW is a prime target, albeit a very challenging one since 48 states are either “shall issue,” or “may issue.” Yes, Vermont and Alaska are no issue carry states and Only 2 of the 50 states are “no issue.” Yeah yeah, some of the “may issue” states are in practice “no issue” by practice but my focus is on “shall issue.” The main point to take away is that the number of states which absolutely refuse to issue any type of carry permit is equal to the number of states which don’t require any sort of permit to carry a firearm concealed.

Back to the original question…Why does the Brady Bunch oppose CCW laws?

The ultimate goal of the antis is to have fewer and fewer people able to exercise their 2A Rights, period.

The fact that I carry a firearm(actually I carry two since Oregon is 1 of only 2 states which does not limit the number of guns carried) I am open to engaging in the very behavior the Brady Bunch assumes.

If I screw up and misuse my concealed carry, I lose my 2A Rights forever. Isn’t that what they assume I will do and ultimately want.

From a totally objective standpoint, the Brady Bunch should support CCW laws in the hopes that we will abuse the Right and therefore lose it forever.

The fact that CCW permit holders are more law-abiding then the LEO’s that issue the permits seems to be a bit of irony for me, and a major thorn in the side of the antis.

UPDATE: I just sent an email to Oregon Firearms Federation for some clarification on which states restrict CCW permit holders to carrying a single gun or have laws which could be intrepreted that way due to the wording. They're pretty quick about responding to emails and I'll update again when I hear back from them. Until then, I would suggest reading your own state laws through the eyes of a lawyer, like Dennis Henigan.

Unorganized Militia Gear

7 comments:

Justin Buist said...

"actually I carry two since Oregon is 1 of only 2 states which does not limit the number of guns carried"

You sure about that? Michigan doesn't limit the number of pistols you can carry either. I doubt we're all that unique.

James Nelson said...

I'm from Michigan too, and I carry 3 generally.

Bob S. said...

Texas does not limit the number firearms you can carry under our CHL permit.

I see the reason they oppose CHL/CCW simply as recognition of what it is -- a step toward fully restoring a right.

How can they demonize firearms if more people knows someone who carries daily?

How can they demonize firearm owners as out of control if Granny or harmless Uncle Frank have permits?

How can they claim there will be blood in the streets over being cut off when their hot head best friend carries and never shoots anyone?

hazmat said...

I'm not aware of any limitation on number of pieces carried in SD, either.

Sevesteen said...

Ohio doesn't limit the number of guns carried either.

The concentration on CCW by The Brady Bunch is puzzling to me--It does not appear to be a winning strategy. On the other hand, statistics aren't their strong suit

kaveman said...

I could be wrong on the number of states which limit you to one firearm. I'm using info obtained from my CCW class instructor and the a book of all relavent Oregon state laws I brought during the class.

They way it was explained to me was the wording in each state's law might look different to a lawyer than to the average Joe.

Some say concealed firearm(singular) and others explicitly say concealed firearms(plural).

This would be fun to research further, possibly by those more versed in leagalese.

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm 100% sure Mass does not limet the number of guns carried (one usually does it for me but I've tipped the scales at 3 on a few occasions) Pretty Sure Maine, and New Hampshire have no such restriction. 100% sure Vermont doesn't care WHAT you carry, or how you carry it so long as you behave yourself. Florida does not have a limit.

As a matter of fact, I've HEARD of such a law, but am unaware of WHAT states DO limit the number of guns you may carry.

As far as I'm concerned the Anti-Gun groups have lost the war, and they're just doing whatever they can to keep the jobs they have for as long as the funding lasts.