Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Church of The Duke and other fables.

Did you know there are shrines dedicated to John Wayne erected at gun shows across the US?

That is the claim of anecdotalist Gary Wintemute in his latest 'study'.
John Wayne is venerated at gun shows.(5-3)He seems to be considered a hero, not so much displayed as invoked (5-14).
They're right next to the pallets of copies of "Turner Diaries" that are sold out within minutes at 'many' shows.

That's right. "Many". Regularly, often, fixture, believed, presumably, suggests, primarily, generally, prominent, frequently and other such 'hard numbers' make this the definitive report on gun shows.

So if you 'regularly' attend gun shows, you're a racist, misogynist, red-neck, sheet-wearing Nazi. Nevermind the fact that most of the materials Wintemute calls into question can be found at gas stations, mall kiosks, flea markets and internet sites across America. That includes that bastion of right-wing fanaticism Amazon.com.

Another good one-liner:
Adolf Hitler's manifesto Mein Kampf is sold at gun shows in Arizona-always next to books by John Lott (6-19)
Think someone has a personal grudge? Check it out and add others that you find.




This post NOT bought and paid for by the Joyce Foundation (unlike the report).

4 comments:

drjim said...

If you read the whole thing, you've got a much stronger stomach than I have!
I couldn't get past the second chapter.....

Weer'd Beard said...

Odd, I bought my John Lott books on Amazon...they also sell Mein Kampf.

Tho if I wanted to read that book (which I honestly should some day) I'll just borrow it from the local library. They had it in my High school Library too, and it was spefically pointed out along with several other books (like Ferenhight 451 and The Color Purple) as books that have been banned in American schools, but were available to us.

They must be racists then....

Joseph said...

Haven't seen a single pro-nazi booth or a single copy of "The Turner Diaries" at any of the gunshows I have been to in, oh, the past 15 years. Where do they get this crap? Oh, I know, they make it up.

Dedicated_Dad said...

Weer'd Beard: Not sure where you went to school, but ... Someone fed you a line of BS!

(I know, I know -- "In PUBLIC SCHOOL??!! Say it ain't so!!"
/sarcasm)

Fahrenheit451 was required reading for me in the '80s - though I CAN see it being "banned" now...

Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn and other similar classics HAVE been banned -- or else rewritten and/or censored, because of their casual use of words which tend to give collectivists attacks of the vapors -- and that's just the (alleged) "males"...

"The Color Purple"? I'd be surprised if THAT one wasn't required reading as well -- at least to the extent that they read at all any more...

As to Mein Kampf, I've read it a few times -- not because I AGREE with ANY of it, but rather in the "know thine enemy" mode -- likewise the "turner diaries", "Rules for Radicals", Marx's "... Manifesto" and Mao's "Little Red Book."

Since I'm not about to give a single CENT to any scumbag who publishes any of the above, the former two were found online - free - and the latter three were purchased used.

To REALLY give The Enemy a fit, I tend to carry Mao's book along with a pocket-sized Constitution -- not because I have any agreement with Mao (Piss be upon him) but for the exact opposite reason! It helps when trying to teach the ignorant to be able to point to the source...

As to TFA? Fugg-em. And feed 'em fisheads! You simply cannot cure willful ignorance, and any energy invested in such a wasteful effort is ... well... wasteful!