Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Heller/July 4th gun.

I would like to thank everyone who commented on my Ammunition Anonymous post.

It looks like Rick wins the day.

I went and bought the Taurus Judge Magnum today after work and I'm having a hard time typing this and fondling it at the same time. It is "previously owned" so I need to get it up to my cleanliness specs before I sleep tonight. I swear if I ever lose my current job I'm going to apply to all the gun shops to hire me to clean their swaps and trade-ins for them. If used car lots have the sense to wash-n-wax their trade-ins and vacuum up the resident mouse turds, I think gun dealers could find a bit of use in someone who likes to clean dirty guns. I even built an uber-cleaning kit which wieghs about 10lbs, all in a convienent carry case. It has everything, plus a spare.

I've been buying a new gun for each July 4th for at least 10 years now. I also usually buy myself a new toy for my birthday each year. I don't have the cash flow to buy any real collector items, but that's part of the beauty of gun collecting. Most of my guns have left some stamp on history, which means they were mass produced on some level.

I have the gun which Germany used in WW1 and WW2(Mauser). I also have the Garand which bested the Germans. I gots the gun the Koreans used against us. I gots the gun the Viet Cong used against us. I gots the guns we used to best them all. My fancy of late has been guns of "The Wild West." The way I look at it is that if I posses the equipment used, I also have a short-cut to the spirit needed in those times.

Even If I flushed all that down the crapper with so much diarrhea...

I have my father's .22 rifle
I have my father's 30.06 rifle
I have my Grandfather's .22 pistol
I have my Grandfather's .22 rifle
I have my Grandmother's .410 shotgun

My collection is more than the sum of its parts, It is history.

Enjoy the 4th of July, and stay safe.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Got my Judge (3" chamber) a few weeks ago and it is fun to shoot... of course, I don't own one, nor have I ever met one, that isn't fun to shoot. ;)

Happy Independence Day.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I have a magnum "Judge," too--and it's cool, but now that I've found out there's going to be a Raging Judge Magnum, I'm sick with lust. The cylinder is HUGE, because not only does it have to hold up to the .454 Casull, it has a six round capacity (I don't think I've ever heard of a .454 Casull six-shooter).

I'm afraid to buy it, though--worried that if I do, then the 2011 catalog will have a version that can handle the .460 S&W Magnum, and I'll have to get that.

For the current Judge, by the way, this new Winchester .410 round seems pretty sweet. I wish they'd make a 3" version, with just 5 or 6 discs, and no BBs, though.