Friday, December 19, 2008

The Blogosphere..

She is a fickle bitch.

The Liberty Sphere is having one of those thought processes. I understand.

There are times when I spend hours on a well researched, thought out post and it gets completely ignored. There have been times where I just punched out a one-liner and it generated thousands of hits w/ dozens of links. While I admit I try and feed my narcissistic tendencies, most of what I do, I do just because I enjoy it.

I enjoy being a part of it. Finding and reading historical documents and statistical works. Arguing w/ anti's on messageboards. Learning about legislation and firearm facts. Etc.

I've also met lots of great people, both in real life and in cyberspace. I've also met some I don't really care for and others that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

In the words of Bilbo Baggins "I don't know half of you as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve".

5 comments:

alan said...

Same here.

Long post: Crickets.

Something stupid: 3000 hits.



Fun, but it's a good thing I'm not in it for the money.

Welshman said...

LOL! True, Third.

The most hits I ever got in a day was when I did a story on the student teacher in Knoxville that had an affair with a student who was then shot dead by the student teacher's husband.

Had nothing to do with politics or firearms rights--unless someone wanted to slant it that way since the man used a firearm to kill the student--but the high interest in female teachers/male student liaisons brought in nearly 10,000 hits in one day.

Go figure...

Anonymous said...

Seconded. Apart from me beating the crap out of the insurrectionist hornet's nest, my long posts almost never get any attention at all. Five sentences, and a few pictures, however, and people respond.

I guess that says something about our readership's attention span...

But, either way, blogging for the attention/approval of others is a losing game to start with.

Sebastian said...

You can never predict what people will link to, or comment on. I can't pretend there's any formula.

The most thing that people are remiss on is in not promoting themselves nearly enough. If you think you have a good post on something, mail it around. That's not a guaranteed link, but it greatly increases the odds. You definitely can't do it with everything, but it's how to get other's attention.

NotClauswitz said...

I get more links from pictures I posted ages ago than from anybody recommending my writing.