Friday, November 26, 2010

Critical Defense Ammo: Before & After

My Uncle took some Hornady Critical Defense Ammo to the range and put it up against some water jugs. He recovered the bullets and put them in comparison to the pre-fired rounds:







Commentary on the results:

From this point on, this is the only loads that I keep in my home defense weapons. I was particularly impressed with the 40SW. It did more damage to the first jug than any of the others including the 45acp. In 2011 Hornaday is adding a 45 colt to it's line up and I will be replacing the 45 colt leverevolution rounds that I currently have in my Taurus judge.

Unorganized Militia Gear

Unorganized Militia Gear

Follow TrailerDays on Twitter

6 comments:

Hat Trick said...

I was very impressed until I realized that's a centimeter scale. Still great expansion on all those rounds.

BobG said...

Nice. What's the weight on that 45?

Thirdpower said...

BobG:

The 45's are listed as 185gr.

BobG said...

Sounds good. I keep 180gr hydroshocks in my 45 right now, those may be a good one to keep in mind if I decide to change.

CC Everyday said...

A test firing of Hornady's Critical Defense ammo in .38 +P (prior to using it in my carry gun), had 5 misfires out of 25 rounds loaded. A careful examination of the misfires indicated their primers were struck in the center and the indentations were identical in shape and depth to the 20 rounds that fired correctly. Four of the misfires were subjected to an additional firing attempt and again failed to fire. A subsequent 15 rounds of Remington Golden Saber ammo (fired immediately after these failures) all fired without issue. This just reinforces the importance of test firing your self-defense ammo prior to needing it. While this was arguably not an extensive test of Hornady ammo, I'll avoid carrying Hornady rounds until they can be proven more effective than firing 80% of the time.

Anonymous said...

I am familiar with the problem Hornaday had over a year ago with primers. However these problems appear to have been resolved. Numerous articles and comments by industry leaders indicate that these are great loads. I personally have not experienced a single misfire in several hundred rounds.

The uncle.