Tuesday, February 9, 2010

WWII Veteran

A friend of ours has an annual Groundhog's Day get-together. While there, he showed me his father's service pistol from WWII.




It's in very good condition having spent most of the time in a box. Only a little rust on the ejection port and the usual scrapes and wear. As good as finding a piece of firearm history in this good condition is that there's also personal history that's been preserved with it including personal photos and newspaper clippings.


5 comments:

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

That's awesome.

I have no idea what the monetary worth of such a gun is (wouldn't be surprised if it's significant), but whatever the monetary value, it can't come close to the personal value to your friend.

That's just cool.

Robert Langham said...

I've got one of these that flew in an 8th Airforce B17 over france and Germany, was shot down over France, hidden by the partisans until the Allies over-ran the town after D-Day and flew some more.

Robert Langham said...

Mine still has some St Louis arsenal .45acp bullets in it.....issued in England.

Konrad Baumgarten said...

I have a Series 70, but that sure is a beauty.

Firehand said...

Friend once asked me what I found so interesting about guns, and I showed her my M1 Garand and said "This was made early in WWII; it was used by American troops in that war, and quite possibly in Korea. It's an actual physical piece of American history; how can that NOT be interesting?"

She'd never looked at it like that before.