I haven’t posted in a while because I’ve been trying to figure out what the Brady Bunch is up to. Something has been bugging me about their actions since Heller and I finally have a working hypothesis. First a brief recap…
1. Heller and McDonald stung them so badly they tried to sell them as victories for further gun control.
2. Ignored by Obama to the point of them releasing their infamous “report card” just days before his State of the Union speech in a vain attempt to shame the President into responding during a speech known to have a very large audience.
3. Ignored by the Congress. Remember how Diane Feinstein said “now is not the time” to bring up the AWB and that she would “wait for the right time” to bring it up? Well, the midterms are just days away and not looking too good for the party which traditionally favors gun-control. If “the right time” hasn’t presented itself while the democrats hold both Houses of Congress and the White House, what are the chances after November 2nd?
Having the Brady Bunch bitch and belly ache to the President, the Congress and the SCOTUS makes perfect sense to me and would be a decent use of their limited resources. But then they throw me for a loop.
4. They bitch about various professional athletes.
5. They bitch about Starbucks.
6. They bitch about Lady Gaga.
I posted before that 4, 5 & 6 were simply a way for them to keep their name in the news because 1, 2 & 3 just wasn’t getting them any face time. They can’t be stupid enough to think that trying to ban guns one restaurant at a time would be a good use of their limited cash. They can’t be stupid enough to think they can manufacture outrage because a pop-singer poses with fake prop guns.
Then I remembered the title of one of Helmke’s blog posts on HuffPo.
“What we’re doing now isn’t working.”
That’s a bit of an understatement but that’s the key. They telegraphed their plan. The Brady Bunch has to be frustrated far beyond the brave face they put when the cameras are around. So that’s where my hypothesis starts…
The Brady Bunch isn’t stupid.
No, I’m not talking about Helmke, Henigan and Petey; they have become a parody of themselves and can’t say ANYTHING, even if it’s the truth, without directly contradicting themselves with their own previous statements. I’m talking about the few wealthy donors who finance them.
What they need is a fresh face with a clean slate and a sympathetic story to pluck the heart strings.
Enter Colin Goddard; survivor of Virginia Tech after being shot 4 times.
People under the age of 35 don’t remember the assassination attempt on Reagan or who Jim Brady even is and the BC knows their only hope is to co-opt the next generation of youth to support their cause.
I think the movers and shakers behind the curtains are pushing Helmke out and putting Colin Goddard in a chair before Congress and on the Oprah Show.
Colin is being groomed.
Helmke is nervous of being supplanted.
Could be wrong of course, but we should start cataloging EVERYTHING Colin says now since those words may come in quite handy in the near future.
UPDATE: Looks like Brady Board member Joan Peterson, AKA japete, is primping Colin's feathers less than 24 hours after I posted.