Thursday, March 25, 2010

My money where their mouth is

Sorry fellow travelers, I’ve switched sides.

As an experiment, I’m going to attempt to boycott all locations which do not prohibit the carrying of firearms either openly or concealed for one entire day. My usual haunt is HuffPo for my anti fix and over the last several days/weeks, I’ve seen numerous comments about how some individuals state that they would never enter an establishment(Starbucks is the whipping boy here) which allows people to carry firearms in any fashion. Never mind the pesky little fact that they must traverse a labyrinth of public roadways and sidewalks in order to patronize or boycott the business of their choosing.

Hmmm…gots to try me summa dat.

First, some ground rules. My home State of Oregon has shall-issue for concealed carry and open carry is hunky-dory in public so I won’t be counting roads or sidewalks in my travels. I’m a hypocrite already aren’t I? Well piss off, this is my experiment and I can’t possibly succeed without making some concessions. Hmmm…that’s kinda telling in itself. Shut up kaveman!
Sorry.

I’ll attempt this next Monday, March 29th. I need to make some serious preparations before I engage in such a lofty endeavor.

My car is overdue for an oil change so I’ll do that tomorrow since Oil Can Henry’s allows guns which means I can’t do it Monday. Ya, I have my car worked on during company time, deal with it.

Saturday is totally off limits since I’m going to my Buddy’s place for his Birthday party and he honestly doesn’t even know how many firearms he owns. If you think that’s kind of odd, then you haven’t seen his collection.

Sunday I’ll have to go grocery shopping because they allow firearms so Monday ain’t working for me. Also need to fill up the gas tank since they allow firearms.

I’ll probably also stop by the liquor store and get something for the weekend, which is a good thing since the closest liquor store also sells firearms. It’s a small town thing, you probably wouldn’t understand.

With the proper preparations, I feel confident that I can go one entire day without entering an establishment which does not prohibit firearms.

Without the planning ahead???…eh…not so much.

Oh crap…my home is filled with guns, even on Mondays, believe it or not. I guess I’ll have to camp out in a State park.

Oh crap…that won’t work either.

Well, I could burn some of that gas and go deep into a National Forest?

Craaaaaaaap, that ain’t feeding my mojo either.

OK look…………………..I’ll avoid all locations that don’t prohibit concealed or open carry with the exceptions which would actually force me to alter my behavior in any way.

Is it any wonder why the pendulum is swinging our way???

If the people next to you are stupid, then educate them. If the people next to you are informed, then break free and seek out stupid people. This is our calling. The stupid people aren’t going to go out and save themselves. This is the cross we sling over our own shoulders. Get used to the weight.

Unorganized Militia Gear

2 comments:

Longhornjeff said...

Kaveman, Just spend monday in Illinois and your experiment will be a success!

Anonymous said...

I recall a conversation with an associate in AZ. re: why open carry is legal there and yet not very common. His response that it was an inconvenience unless in a very rural area.

If you attempted this crossing from 1 side of the city of phoenix to the other, you would have to stop and disarm every few blocks due to the laws about proximity to Schools, Church's etc.

So let us know what set of rules you have to play by that may affect your study.